Tips to Alleviate Aches and Pain While Traveling
Traveling usually involves long periods of time sitting, which can be hard on your body. Whether you travel in a plane, on a train, in a car, or otherwise, it is important that you know how to alleviate some of the aches and pains while you travel. At the chiropractic office of Dr. Brian Briggs, we have collected these tips to help you.
Travel By Plane
Traveling by plane can be difficult because you cannot just get up and freely move around any time you want. Before your scheduled flight, make sure you have taken the time to do a short warm-up to get the blood flowing through your extremities and muscles. A brisk walk can do the trick. A few other pointers to keep in mind if you do not want to ache after traveling by plane include:
- Check any heavy bags; lifting over your head can cause neck and back strain
- Try tucking a pillow behind you at the curve of your back and maybe a rolled towel behind your neck
- Try to shift your position in your seat periodically to help avoid leg, hip, and buttock strain
- Stand up and stretch whenever you are given the opportunity
- Massage your legs and calves, prop your feet up on something, or move your legs up and down to improve blood flow
Travel By Car
When you are traveling in your car, you have a little more control over stopping for a break. However, if you are the driver, you must be attentive to what your body is telling you to avoid strain.
- Adjust your seat properly so your knees are just a bit higher than your hips
- Use a pillow or back-support cushion to prevent low back strain
- Stretch every time you get a chance by extending your feet, opening your toes, and rolling your shoulders
- Gently hold the steering wheel instead of firmly grasping it to prevent arm strain
- Take frequent breaks, get out of the car, walk around, and stretch your legs
Talk to our Chiropractor About Pain After Travel
If traveling is a normal part of your everyday life, dealing with aches and pains all the time can be problematic. If you struggle with backaches and neck pains when you travel, it is a good idea to talk to us at the chiropractic office of Dr. Brian Briggs in Dayton, OH about how we can help.